Thursday, August 13, 2020

Points of Distinction - Measuring For Countertops

LT-2D3D Laser Templator

Last year I picked out the countertop materials for the condo kitchen. I chose gray steel granite in a leathered finish for the island and Avenza polished pental quartz for the perimeter areas. As you all know, it's been a crazy Covid 19 year, so things haven't progressed as they usually do. Last week, George from Cosmos Marble and Granite  came to measure and brought the laser equipment with him. Made my day.

One of the most fascinating tools for measuring countertops is the LT-2D3D Laser Templator.  If I was in the business of tile and stone installations, I would have this tool. It may be pricey, but it's very efficient and accurate - just follow the red dot that marks the digital data point. I jest, it is more complicated than that. However, once you master navigating the software, it is a superb tool.

For those who know me, you know I love tools. As a child I worked with my Dad repairing furniture for the neighbors and with my Mom in a commercial kitchen, both fields have lots of tools.  Later, as a computer programmer I spent 30 years coding applications and as a kitchen designer I love the 2D and 3D aspect of designing on a computer.  So, I was intently watching the functionality of this tool at work.

In the short time George was here, I realized you can draw on different planes with the tool, you can use different colors for different objects so you cut down on confusion, you can aim the laser at the center of the sink cutout and it will calculate the correct cutout, if measuring a wall you can center the laser on the screw of the electrical outlet to get the correct outlet into the drawing. If I was having a backsplash done, he could have used the tool to measure up the wall as well. Yep, it's a great time saver. And once the data is collected you have it on file in a computer format that you can email if requested.  I think he must have been using the tool for awhile because it didn't take him that long to measure.


Next post you'll see the countertops in place.  I can't wait. Stay tune.

Ready for the plotter

No comments:

Post a Comment